Friday, April 2, 2010

Square Foot Gardening

Some wonderful friends gave us a book on Square Foot Gardening a few years ago, and it has helped us to make the most of our gardening.  Rather than planting in rows, which wastes space and is hard to keep up with, square foot gardening divides the garden into squares.  You can plant whatever you like in each square, and, after you harvest your square, you plant something else.  Square foot gardens look really nice, are easier to weed, produce more veggies, and are great for kids!

We have three 8x4 gardens.  I'm excited to see broccoli, sweet peas, spinach, lettuce, and radishes growing already.  Last summer, my kids ate sweet peas, cherry tomatoes, and carrots right out of the garden!  And I was able to can all sorts of goodies.  I'm looking forward to a wonderful harvest again this summer. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for reading my book "Waiting for Jack"! Here's to not waiting! And, I love your blog.

Kelly Cook said...

I was just reading about bio-intensive gardening and I'm sure it's the same concept. Did you track your harvest?

Travis & Janan said...

Cross your fingers that we'll get to plant in our empty planter boxes this weekend!!!

worryfreemom said...

Kelly--We didn't track our harvest, but I know I was able to can & freeze quite a bit, which I've never been able to do before.

Janan-- Ryan just told me about Charlie...hope you get a chance to plant this weekend!

Kristen--Loved meeting you & hearing your story at the Author 101 event. Your book is great!

blog formatting