Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Building Websites...

I was in my junior year at NAU taking my first online class--Creative Writing!--when I first started using my e-mail account out of necessity.  Just a few short years later, teaching my composition students how to design and create their own sites to showcase their work using Netscape Composer was one of my favorite assignments. 

Fast forward 12 years.  Now we have sophisticated web site builders that don't require much at all--just put in your own pictures and text and voila!  You have a site!  My students use webs.com, which is a pretty easy site builder with free hosting.  Since I have domains registered with godaddy already, I had to think of another alternative.

For now, I'm using wix.com.  I used one of their templates to build a site for Ryan (palmercustomhomesnb.com), and I designed our License to Dream site from scratch (yourlicensetodream.com).  The second site is temporary until we get our vision together.  Other than the wix.com ad on the side, I think the sites look pretty great.  My next task is to create a new site for worryfreemom.com.   It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it!

2 comments:

Kelly Cook said...

Are you opposed to paying for hosting? We use FatCow and your URL is what's seen. The prices are low and they have good customer service!

worryfreemom said...

No, we pay go daddy for hosting. I knew you used something else, but I couldn't remember what. I'll go check them out!

blog formatting